CyHawkThoughts

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Iowa State Football > Chuck thinks Rhoads should still be canned. Do you?

Steven Myers
Site Owner
I'm not sure what the Phillipines has done to Chuck, but this is a ridiculous statement.
--

Owner/Publisher of CyHawkThoughts

November 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chuck

It isn't ridiculous. And since you, Steve never back up with facts why you think it is ridiculous, I don't know why you would think so.  4 straight losing seasons. This year was 2 steps back. Next year doesn't look good. Maybe 5 wins.  Although Rhoads is a step up from Chizik, the program has not surpassed what McCarney did.

--

"Iowa basketball stars Eddie Horton and Roy Marble were known as two guys you didn’t mess with. One night they got into a fight in downtown Iowa City during which they decked a couple of Hawkeye wrestlers. Iowa finished second in the NCAA wrestling championships that year. Coach Dan Gable told the wrestling banquet crowd, 'We would have finished first if we’d had Horton and Marble.”--Jim Zabel

December 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven Myers
Site Owner
Fair enough I give in. Rhoads pack your bags and take your best recruiting class ever with you. Who needs Allen Lazard anyways...Stanford, Chuck's Fighting Irish, or other national programs that have recruited him hard. Well they can have him. Hey Tommy Mister...I don't care how good you are, stay in Illinois where you belong. We don't want you either. We have had 4 losing seasons...not bowl seasons, but losing seasons. We want to start all over again and continue the cycle for decades to come.
--

December 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chuck

Thats all you got? Best recruiting class ever? Well hawks had a great recruiting class (best rated that I am aware of) after the Capital One Bowl in 05. That class featured Jake the Snake.  It was incredibly hit and miss. 1/2 didn't make it out to senior day and most all weren't there for the 2009 team.  http://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/recruiting-class-rewind shows the pluses and minuses.    Look at that-- a lot of players had huge offers... florida, OU, etc. only 7 made multi year contributions, one being Jake and one being Trey Stross who was a liability and the best on poor teams.  So only 5 were any good in my opinion. 5 of 23.  So ISU got at least a couple good guys... OK. So. 2 guys arent going to help them avoid a 5th straight losing season. They need better coaching. It is not starting over. It is getting someone who is not just passionate, but is also a good coach.  Kansas, KSU, Iowa, Mizzou, and other comparable schools can get to BCS in last 5-6 years... ISU is happy to repeatedly have losing seasons according to your reply. That should be unacceptable.  In Baseball, 2003, Grady little had the Red Sox on the cusp of a world series. He was fired. terry Francona got it done. I am not saying that it needs to be blown up, but someone needs to take where they are and elevate it. I could rattle off 20 coaches that could go in there tomorrow and win 7 regular season games next year. not on the list? CPR. 4 straight losing seasons is telling. The only winning season in his regime includes players from 2 other coaches.

December 18, 2013 at 5:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven Myers
Site Owner

Sorry to hear about the 2006 recruiting class troubles.  I forgot that if it happened in 2006 to Iowa it WILL happen to Iowa State's 2014 class.  In fact it is a proven science that Iowa State's 2014 class is doomed due to the 2006 Iowa class.  Sorry for looking past this scientific fact.

--

December 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brent Schuller

We need to see what happens next year without Messingham.  I love Rhoades and his passion for ISU but it's time to start putting up some wins.  I found the "One Way. Forward" slogan to be embarrassing this year.  Enough marketing crap and let's focus on business on the field.

December 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven Myers
Site Owner

I know that Chuck talked about not getting after Fran for the Iowa loss to the Cyclones since he is not the one shooting free throws down the stretch and what not.  I completely agree, which is why coming down on Rhoads this year seems a bit over the top.  Not once this year did I see him miss a tackle, throw a football, or drop a catch.

--

December 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chuck

1. Steve-- your facetiousness aside, it was the 05 class not 06 class. 06 had Clayborn, stanzi, edds, and others. I said 05 class. I do not know why you brought up the 06 class because it was good and brought a BCS bowl win to the state.

2. I think the 2013 class for ISU is better than 2014. Regardless, I do not see the 2014 class equating to any wins this next season.

3. Fran and Rhoads are apples and oranges. I said Fran can't be judged because he put people in a place to succeed and THEY failed. Fran did his job.  I do not see where Rhoads has put anyone in a place to succeed lately.  ISU was part of epic blowouts, not repeated losses due to a missed field goal in the face of a tough crowd. As you have mentioned all year, there is too much cushion from the DBs. That is a tactical error that falls on coaching. Just like KF and not defending onside kicks and fake punts. That is lack of preparation. I think Rhoads is a terrible gameday coach.  The team is spiralling downward. Maybe they can sneak to 5 wins next year, but I just don't think that 5 losing seasons consecutively is worth it as a coach.  Time to get someone else in.  ISU has had winners who were great coaches. Earle Bruce, Johnny Majors are a couple. ISU can win.  I think it needs more than a rah rah guy.  It needs someone to come in and say-- listen dudes-- we aren't winning just 5 or 6 games a year. That is not success.  Fire rhoads, who will make someone a fine coordinator.  That is his skillset... coordinator, not CEO of a team.  and that is ok.  bring in Jim Tressel. pay him whatever he wants.  They don't want to do that? what about Del Miller of KSU? He is from the state of Iowa and knows how to win and make programs relevant. He was part of it at Iowa and KSU.

Bottom line. Rah rah works, but  for individual games (as we've seen against Iowa, Nebraska, Okie state, etc), not over the course of a whole season. It takes being multi dimenional and the x's and o's displayed by CPR as a whole are substandard.  There is nothing that sets ISU apart.  They will continue to be mediocre at best following this trail.

December 21, 2013 at 5:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chuck

After looking quickly at ISU offensive yardage and ppg the last 10 years, ISU has averaged less yards and points than Chizik's last year in 2008. the 2011 team did have more yards than McCarney's last bowl team (2005).  The team is not improving. This stagnation falls squarely on the coaching staff.  I did not focus on d at this time, because rhoads is a defensive guy. Teams in the big 12 are winning with Offense and ISU is not making any marked improvement in that area.

December 21, 2013 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steven Myers
Site Owner

Chuck at December 21, 2013 at 5:29 AM

1. Steve-- your facetiousness aside, it was the 05 class not 06 class. 06 had Clayborn, stanzi, edds, and others. I said 05 class. I do not know why you brought up the 06 class because it was good and brought a BCS bowl win to the state.

2. I think the 2013 class for ISU is better than 2014. Regardless, I do not see the 2014 class equating to any wins this next season.

3. Fran and Rhoads are apples and oranges. I said Fran can't be judged because he put people in a place to succeed and THEY failed. Fran did his job.  I do not see where Rhoads has put anyone in a place to succeed lately.  ISU was part of epic blowouts, not repeated losses due to a missed field goal in the face of a tough crowd. As you have mentioned all year, there is too much cushion from the DBs. That is a tactical error that falls on coaching. Just like KF and not defending onside kicks and fake punts. That is lack of preparation. I think Rhoads is a terrible gameday coach.  The team is spiralling downward. Maybe they can sneak to 5 wins next year, but I just don't think that 5 losing seasons consecutively is worth it as a coach.  Time to get someone else in.  ISU has had winners who were great coaches. Earle Bruce, Johnny Majors are a couple. ISU can win.  I think it needs more than a rah rah guy.  It needs someone to come in and say-- listen dudes-- we aren't winning just 5 or 6 games a year. That is not success.  Fire rhoads, who will make someone a fine coordinator.  That is his skillset... coordinator, not CEO of a team.  and that is ok.  bring in Jim Tressel. pay him whatever he wants.  They don't want to do that? what about Del Miller of KSU? He is from the state of Iowa and knows how to win and make programs relevant. He was part of it at Iowa and KSU.

Bottom line. Rah rah works, but  for individual games (as we've seen against Iowa, Nebraska, Okie state, etc), not over the course of a whole season. It takes being multi dimenional and the x's and o's displayed by CPR as a whole are substandard.  There is nothing that sets ISU apart.  They will continue to be mediocre at best following this trail.

My apologies on the 06'... you said after Cap 1 bowl im 05' so I went to 06' not thinking about Jan bowl game.
--

December 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.